Weekly Reflection (W11): My Attitude Toward Money

By Dieumerci T Kalonji

This week’s study on “Attitude on Money” has given me a lot to think about. Reflecting on my own beliefs, I realize that my attitude toward money is quite mixed: I see money both as a practical tool for security and as a responsibility not simply as a way to indulge wants. On one hand, I value financial stability deeply; I want to save and build a cushion, so I don’t feel vulnerable. But on the other hand, I feel a strong moral call to use whatever I have to help others, whether family or community, rather than hoard wealth selfishly.

How does my view of Money affect the way I live? This dual attitude shapes my daily decisions in profound ways. Because I treat money as a form of security, I tend to be cautious: I budget carefully, avoid needless risks, and make long-term plans (savings, maybe investments) so that I can weather unexpected challenges. But because I also believe money comes with responsibility, I find fulfillment in generosity giving, supporting others, and using resources to make a positive impact rather than just accumulating for myself.

At the same time, I must be vigilant: seeing money as a measure of security can tempt me toward anxiety, worrying about the “what ifs” too much. And viewing money as a responsibility can sometimes lead to guilt or overextending myself in giving, even when my own needs matter. So, my perspective on money directly influences both how I spend and how I give, my priorities, and the kind of legacy I want to build.

While the “Attitude on Money” article from the study isn’t directly available, combining the themes of money‑attitude research with biblical and practical wisdom, several rules emerge for prospering (financially and spiritually):

  1. Contentment Matters: One key principle (drawn from Christian teaching) is being happy with what you have. As 1 Timothy 6:6–8 suggests, “godliness with contentment is great gain” not always chasing more but being wise stewards of what we already have. 

  2. Work Diligently, But Trust Beyond Yourself: We should work hard and use our talents (as Paul teaches) but also recognize that our security ultimately comes from something or someone greater than ourselves. 

  3. Manage Wisely (Budget, Save, Invest): Good stewardship means planning budgeting to know where money goes, saving for future needs, and investing prudently rather than spending impulsively. Research on money‑attitudes shows that those who regard money as a source of security are more likely to save. 

  4. Give Generously: Prosperity is not just about increasing personal wealth but using money to bless others. Biblical teachings emphasize giving, especially sacrificially and cheerfully. 

  5. Avoid the Love of Money: It’s not money itself that’s the problem but loving it more than what truly matters. As 1 Timothy 6:9–10 warns, the love of money can lead to many troubles. 

  6. Seek Wise Counsel & Financial Literacy: Understanding money — through education, good advice, and self-reflection — helps us make better decisions. Research shows that financial literacy strongly relates to better money management. 

  7. Maintain Integrity: Honesty in financial dealings matters. Whether it’s business, personal spending, or giving, integrity preserves trust and aligns our money practices with deeper values. 

In conclusion, my attitude toward money is shaped by a tension between security and responsibility. I believe money should serve not control my life. How I view money affects how I budget, save, work, and give. Prosperity, in my understanding, is not only about accumulating resources but stewarding them wisely, generously, and with purpose.

Going forward, I look forward to deepening my financial literacy, practice contentment more consistently, and steward my resources in a way that honors both my practical needs and my moral convictions. I want my money to reflect who I am and what I value not just as a means to live, but as a way to make a positive difference.

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog